The narcotic drugs are helpful to treat many pain ailments, but they come with a plenty of side effects too.
If not used as prescribed by the doctor can lead to harmful and serious side effects too. Some of the side effects are mild and they vanish with time as your body gets used to the medicine, but some serious side effects like overdose of these drugs can be fatal too. Fioricet is also among the narcotic drugs having mild to serious side effects.
Let us understand about the possible side effects of Fioricet depending upon their severity.
Frequently observed side effects
Some of the adverse reactions of Fioricet observed frequently are
- Abdominal pain
- Intoxicated feeling
Infrequent observed side effects
Listed below are some infrequently observed side effects of Fioricet
Central nervous system
- Shaky feeling,
- heavy eyelids,
- hot spells,
- fatigue, high energy,
- Sluggishness and numbness.
Excitement and mental confusion can occur due to sensitivity, especially in debilitated or elder patients or because of over dosage of butalbital.
Nervous system (Autonomic)
Dry mouth and hyperhidrosis
Heartburn, constipation, flatulence and difficulty in swallowing are some gastrointestinal related side effects seen in patients.
Muscle fatigue and leg pain
Fever, nasal congestion, tinnitus, pruritus, euphoria and other allergic reactions
There are some rare side effects associated with consumption of Fioricet, which are not known to patients. Let us know about them.
- Decreased blood platelets
- Decreased white blood cells
- Liver failure (acute)
- Extra heartbeat
- Giant hives
- Memory loss
- Trouble in breathing
- Feeling restless
- Fast heartbeat
- Skin redness
- Swelling in vocal cords
- Skin inflammation
- Throat tightness
The side effects can be mild to severe, but you should consult your doctor if any symptoms persist, so that you can treat the side effects. Many people using Fioricet do not have any severe side effects. It depends from person to person, so doctor is the right person to judge the side effects and adjust the dosage accordingly.
Do not ignore the side effects as they can be serious too. For lightheadedness and dizziness, you can try getting up slowly from your bed from a lying or sitting position.
For side effects like constipation, you can switch to a simple diet which can aid the process of digestion properly. You should trust your doctor as your doctor knows the right dosage for you. Do not try to change the dosage or stop taking the medicine on your own. Your doctor will help you adjust your dose and reduce side effects gradually.
Altering the dosage of Fioricet on your own can lead to various other problems that you might not be able to understand and deal with. Consult your doctor if your current dose is causing any side effects.
For serious side effects, you must consult your doctor immediately to avoid adverse effects.
Common and Rare Side Effects of Fioricet
Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur:
- shortness of breath
- Incidence not known
- Abdominal or stomach pain
- black, tarry stools
- bleeding gums
- blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin
- blood in the urine or stools
- blurred vision
- change in the frequency of urination or amount of urine
- difficulty with breathing
- difficulty with swallowing
- dry mouth
- fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat or pulse
- flushed or dry skin
- fruit-like breath odor
- hives, itching, or skin rash
- increased hunger
- increased thirst
- increased urination
- joint or muscle pain
- loss of appetite
- nausea or vomiting
- pinpoint red spots on the skin
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- red skin lesions, often with a purple center
- red, irritated eyes
- shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
- sore throat
- sores, ulcers, or white spots in the mouth or on the lips
- swelling of the feet or lower legs
- tightness in the chest
- trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
- troubled breathing
- unexplained weight loss
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Get emergency help immediately if any of the following symptoms of overdose occur:
- Symptoms of overdose
- Confusion as to time, place, or person
- dark urine
- difficult or painful urination
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
- general feeling of discomfort or illness
- holding false beliefs that cannot be changed by fact
- increased sweating
- irregular, fast or slow, or shallow breathing
- light-colored stools
- loss of appetite
- pale or blue lips, fingernails, or skin
- sudden decrease in the amount of urine
- trouble sleeping
- unpleasant breath odor
- unusual excitement, nervousness, or restlessness
- vomiting of blood
- yellow eyes or skin
Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Relaxed and calm
- Incidence not known
- continuing ringing or buzzing or other unexplained noise in the ears
- excess air or gas in the stomach or intestines
- false or unusual sense of well-being
- full feeling
- hearing loss
- heavy eyelids
- high energy
- hot spells
- pain in the leg
- passing gas
- stuffy nose
- tingling sensation
Other side effects not listed may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your healthcare professional.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.